Monday, September 26, 2011

Momma Always said " Never play with your food"

Last week we learned about 2D (Flat) and 3D (Solid) figures in my classroom. I am teaching the new Common Core Math this year and loving it!!!  All week we did hands on activities to learn how to identify flat and solid figures. Monday we did a paper bag activity. I put flat and solid figures into a paper bag and each child had to reach into the bag, feel the figure and identify the figure as a flat or solid. After the figure was identified the student pulled the figure out of the bag for the other students to see. Tuesday we did a flat and solid sorting activity. A co-teacher and myself collected things from around our houses and put them in one big box. The students had to find two figures  in the box that were alike and describe how the figures where alike and if they were flats or solids. Wednesday we found things around our classroom that are flats and solids. Thursday was what the students described as the BEST Math lesson ever...we sorted flat and solid foods. I sent home a letter asking students to bring in different foods that are flat and solid figures.
This is what the students brought in:
circle-pepperoni
triangle- triangle cheez- its crackers out of the chedder chex mix
square-wheat thins/cheez-its
rectangle-graham crackers
sphere - yogo's/ whoppers
cylinder - marshmallows/Combos
cube -cheese/caramel
rectangular prism- twix/ kit kat
cone- Bugles
This is what our bag of "figures" looked  like:

This is what they looked like sorted into flats and solids:


We did not learn the names of the shapes just whether the shape was a flat or solid...names are coming later !!!

13 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower!
    ;0) Cara
    Visit me at kindergartenboomboom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I've been waiting until Q3 to do it. The kids are going to love it!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome way to teach 2 and 3D shapes. Can't wait to try it. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful. bestcookwarereviewsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What type of food could I use for a pyramid shape?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graham crackers and peanut butter. After that places chopped bananas , fresh strawberries and chopped apples.on to the peanut butter to design the pyramid.( any type of fruits will do).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this will help . Please Let me know if it did?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm featuring this activity and one photo from your post at Every Star Is Different as part of a round up of 3 Dimensional Shapes Activities & Printables.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm featuring this activity and one photo from your post at Every Star Is Different as part of a round up of 3 Dimensional Shapes Activities & Printables.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome ideas I am now going to rewrite my 3d shape program that just spent all day doing but this is such a better way to introduce the concept! thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am definitely going to use this idea with my in home childcare kiddos, then again with my grandchildren just for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DAMQQ | BANDAR POKER | AGEN POKERV | BANDARQ | CEME | DOMINO ONLINE

    Yuk Buruan ikutan bermain di website DamQQ

    Sekarang DAMQQ Memiliki Game terbaru Dan Ternama loh...

    9 permainan :
    => Poker
    => Bandar Poker
    => Domino99
    => BandarQ
    => AduQ
    => Sakong
    => Capsa Susun
    => Bandar 66
    => Perang Baccarat (NEW GAME)

    => Bonus Refferal 20% (x2,x3)
    => Bonus Turn Over 0,5%
    => Minimal Depo 10.000
    => Minimal WD 20.000
    => 100% Member Asli
    => Pelayanan DP & WD 24 jam
    => Livechat Kami 24 Jam Online
    => Bisa Dimainkan Di Hp Android
    => Di Layani Dengan 5 Bank Terbaik
    => 1 User ID 9 Permainan Menarik

    Info Lebih Lanjut Hubungi Pihak Cs DamQQ Melalui :
    Daftar : Daftar DamQQ
    Website : DamQQ
    Whatsapp : +855885578926
    Line : DAMQQPOKER

    ReplyDelete